Tuesday 25 October 2011

Models 2

The second model I worked on was a lot more complicated than my first. For one I was basically attempting to create a replica of the MSE-6-series repair droid pictured below:
























As the basic shape is quite simple I didn't feel the need to import any images into 3Ds Max to use as a 'template'. Instead I just used the Splines tool and drew the general shape for the main body of the droid, before using the Extrude modifier to give it mass.




















I then proceeded to convert my model into an editable poly and connect some of the edges in order to then extrude the polygons and create the 'ridge' around the droid's body.












Afterwards I created a thin, long rectangle shape to cut away the middle of the ridge. I used the boolean subtraction tool for this - though I understand that using this tool does have some rather unpleasant side effects - for example it seems to create extra, unwanted polygons (something that would be a problem if I was creating a game and wanted a smooth gameplay experience, but as the goal of this module is to create a 3D animation so isn't something that will cause a problem for now - but it is something to keep in mind for the future.)










After creating the body, I moved onto the details - the first being the 'grid' on the side of the droid's body. I created a separate, quite flat box shape for this and converted it into an editable poly before using the 'connect' tool to create a grid of small cubes along with small gaps between them so they would be separated. I used the extrude tool to pull the cube shapes out and make a similar pattern from that found on the reference image. I did however make the decision to make my pattern look 'rougher' and less uniform as I thought it made the droid look like it had more 'character' and was probably fairly old.














Once I felt the grid was complete I cloned it and attached each grid to the opposite sides on the droid - along with making some simple wheels which I also attached to the droid (taking note to make the front ones smaller the the back as they appeared in the reference image) using the boolean unison tool.














After taking a closer look at the reference image I noticed the droid appeared to have a front 'bumper' like object. Using the edge modifier I proceeded to use Chamfer and extrude to create a shape that I felt was similar.

















Next  I began work on the two rows of small tube like shapes that sit on top of the droid.I created a separate rectangle shape for the base, before creating another and using the Boolean subtraction tool cut away at the edges to make the shape more like the reference image (I did try to use other options other than the subtraction tool - for example: connecting and deleting edges/vertexs, using the spline tool to draw my shape etc. Unfortunately none of these gave me the desired shape.) After that I connected a few edges and extruded the polygon to create a sort of 'balcony' for the cylinder shapes to sit on.

I then proceeded to make a small cylinder and a upside down cone shape before connecting them together and then using a small sphere and the Boolean subtraction tool to hollow out the top of the object. I then cloned my cylinder object and sat six of them along the balcony and up against the other rectangle I'd cut the edges from - before connecting everything together using the Boolean unison tool.

I then cloned the entire model part and placed both of them atop the droid before attaching them using the same tool mentioned above.
















The last, finishing touch I made to my droid was to add a small oval shape object to the sides (just under the ridge and in between the wheels) - I created the shape separately, before cloning it and attaching them both using the Boolean Unison tool.







No comments:

Post a Comment